A Friday night in is pretty rare for Jon and me! We are usually going out to new restaurants or hitting up a happy hour downtown. However, last night was one of those great exceptions! After an excruciating, long week of classes and internships, I decided to cook us a romantic dinner…and it was FABULOUS (aside from the not so great weather).
Here is what we made: sauteed chicken in a mustard and cream sauce (which Jon took charge of), green beans with caramelized shallots, and twice baked sweet potatoes. I know this meal sounds heavy, but I promise I managed to make the dishes a bit lighter! But, after all, we diet all week so one night of a few added calories isn’t too bad!
Sauteed Chicken with Mustard-Cream Sauce
Adapted From: Martha Stewart
3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1/4 Dry White Wine (we used Pino Grigio)
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream (or a little less)
2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
1 Teaspoon Rosemary
1. Pat chicken breasts dry and season generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
2. Pour wine into hot skillet. Cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in cream, mustard, and rosemary. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
3. Drizzle sauce on top of chicken and serve.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 Tbs Raw Sugar
1 Tbs Soy-Free Milk
1 Tbs Fat-Free Cream Cheese
1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Place face down on a baking tray and cook 30-35 minutes, or until tender.
3. Remove from oven and scoop out centers into bowl. Mix sweet potatoes with sugar, milk, cream cheese and cinnamon until combined.
4. Spoon potato mixture back into skins. Bake 5-10 minutes until hot. Serve immediately.
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
Adapted from: Martha Stewart
1/2 lb fresh green beans
2 shallots (peeled and thinly sliced)
Fresh Black Pepper
1 Tbs Butter
1. In a medium saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat; swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add shallots and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans until fork-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Season with salt and pepper.